It’s that time of the year for Passports with Purpose.
This philantrophic initiative always makes me proud to be a member of the travel industry. The annual Passports with Purpose (PwP) project brings together bloggers, travel industry professionals, and nonprofit organizations in an effort to support various worthy causes since its inception in 2008.
Last year, with our collective help in raising over $25,000, Passports with Purpose was able to support five farming families for five years through Sustainable Harvest International.
This year, Passports with Purpose has teamed up with Worldreader to bring digital e-readers to five libraries in Kenya. The e-readers will provide about 6,250 children, teachers and parents with access to more than 50,000 books.
With your help, we can open up the world to kids through easy-to-access books via Worldreader. You can follow fundraising efforts and conversations on Twitter at #PwP.
Where I Come In – Partnership with Skyscanner
This year, I will be donating a €300 (euro) travel voucher* which I won from a travel brand I love – Skyscanner.
Skyscanner’s flexible search options mean you can browse prices across a whole month, or even a year, allowing you to get the best deals. Skyscanner has been in the travel business for over 10 years, and it employs more than 50 different nationalities from our global offices in the Edinburgh, Singapore, Beijing, Shenzhen, Miami, Barcelona, Glasgow, London, Sofia and Budapest. They get over 50 million unique visitors per month who use Skyscanner to find flights, car rentals and hotels in more than 30 different languages.
* – Please see below for more details and legal terms for redeeming the prize if you win.
Where You Come In
From November 8 until November 18, you can make donations of $10 or more to the cause. In addition, you can choose which prizes you’d like to win when making your donation including the €300 travel voucher from Skyscanner.
Please reach into your pockets and give what you can. Special thanks to Skyscanner for supporting this effort.
Previous PwP Efforts
To learn more about previous projects, please check out the links below.
2014 – Sustainable Harvest International – Helping farmers in Honduras
2013 – buildOn – Building schools in Mali
2012 – Water.org – Building wells in Haiti
2011 – Room to Read – Building libraries in Zambia
2010 – LAFTI – Building a village in India
2009 – American Assistance for Cambodia (AAC) – Building a school in Cambodia
2008 – Heifer International – Donating lifestock
2008 – Giving Back: Passports with Purpose
More prize details
The winner must get in touch within five (5) working days after the announcement. The prize must be redeemed within three (3) months – by January 31, 2016, with flight details sent to us by then. Skyscanner will book the flights with travel undertaken by December 31, 2016.
1. The prize is a flight-only travel voucher up to the value of 300 EUR to be requested in a one-time booking only. Skyscanner will book the travel, and will use reasonable endeavours to base the booking on the destination and dates as requested by the winner. All elements of the prize must be taken by December 31, 2016.
2. Receipt of the prize is conditional upon the winner having a valid passport and visa (if appropriate) permitting travel to the relevant destination with at least 6 months’ validity.
3. The value of the prize is based on the recommended retail value or market value at the date of booking. The prize is non-refundable and no cash alternative will be given. Where any element of the prize is unavailable, an alternative of equal value will be provided. Any extra costs beyond the value of the prize as outlined in these terms will be the sole responsibility of the winner.
4. In the event that the winner, for any reason, does not accept the prize or any element thereof, then the prize (or the relevant element) will be forfeited by the winner and neither cash nor any other form of compensation will be supplied in lieu of that forfeited prize (or the relevant element).
5. Skyscanner accepts no responsibility for any tax implications that may arise from accepting any prize and advises entrants that independent financial advice be sought in the event of winning. Any extra activities and costs beyond the specified prize will be the responsibility of the winner, including obtaining travel insurance to cover healthcare, lost baggage and other related travel costs.
6. By accepting a prize, the winner accepts full and complete responsibility for their own safety and welfare at all times and, to the fullest extent permitted by law, agrees that Skyscanner shall not be liable or responsible for any risks or damages associated with or arising out of the winner’s acceptance of the prize.