The warm spicy waft of fresh South African Rooibos red tea was just the jolt I needed. After a long travel day which still included one more flight to Durban, I was already physically exhausted. Yet, it was the kind of exhaustion that still keeps you awake when you know you should be sleeping to rest.
Adrenaline-filled exhaustion because you’re so excited and can’t wait to see what’s next.
So while waiting for our connecting flight, our team caught up on work and emails over steaming cups of Rooibos tea, espressos, and cappuccinos.
I’d read up a bit on Durban – mostly its culture and general lifestyle – but I also wanted some ground level tips from locals as well. So I put out a call on Twitter for local suggestions on what I can’t leave Durban without experiencing, seeing, eating. While our production schedule is tight and we can’t pack in all the suggestions, I wanted to share them here for those of you thinking of possibly hitting Durban in the near future.
Things to experience in Durban
From Meruschka – @MzansiGirl
– Writers trails and literary tourism in Kwazulu Natal
– Visit the Nelson Mandela capture site in Howick
– Vibe Tours township Poetry Circle: drumming, music, and story telling
– Best curries in KZN at Impulse by the sea restaurant, Tinley Manor
– Victoria street market
– Cycle down the Golden mile
– Eat a Bunny Chow
– Chisa nyama at Max’s
– Umlazi / Inanda Heritage Route
From Shelldon – @cctouringsa
– How about a microlight flight over Durbs?
– A harbor cruise
– Visit the “1000 Hills”
– Eat a Boerewors roll
From Cherae – @sasyrae
– Bunny Chow near the market
– The elephant house and lookout nearby
– The stadium walk
Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. Next up -> Postcards from Durban